I, Dele Ball, Author of "The Ball Family Brand History" Video Tape and Transcription, and owner of A A Originals, do hereby give my permission to the GREEN RIVER VALLEY MUSEUM and its authorized representative to use all or part of the above mentioned history tape or transcription be it oral, visual or printed so long as it is sponsored by the GREEN RIVER VALLEY MUSEUM.
Dele Ball, Owner
The Ball family first came to this country, Sublette County, Wyoming, in 1882. Leaving his New York home, Charlie arrived here to be followed in 1883 by his father Daniel and his brother Frank. Another brother, John, followed at a later date.
Frank and Daniel settled at the mouth of South Cottonwood Canyon, at the edge of a bunch of quakers on the south slope of Mildred MOUNTAIN. They spent their first winter there in a crude cabin constructed of quaking aspen logs. After enduring the long winter in a cabin nearly inundated with snow, as soon as travel was possible, they moved down the valley to near the end of it and took up land on what is now Ball Island.
The Ball family were partial to the Double Dishpan brand. Frank's territorial brand was Double Dishpan interlocked, LRC, RSH, cropped left ear, over bit right ear. Charlie's brand was the Double Dishpan back to back LRC, LSH, over slash left ear, cropped right ear, wattle.
Frank used his Double Dishpan brand from territorial times until his death in 1948. The brand passed, along with the home ranch and cattle, to his daughter, Alice Ball Newcomb, at this time. She owned and operated the ranch until her death in the 1950's, then it and the brand passed to her children, Patsy Newcomb Sanford and identical twin sons, Ralph Edward Newcomb and John Douglas Newcomb. They operated the home ranch known then as Newcomb Land and Livestock along with Lois Cobb Newcomb, Ted's wife, until 1968. During her time on the ranch, Lois applied for a brand incorporating the Double Dishpan interlocking which she still holds. It is called the Flying Diamond, LHC, LHH, overbit left ear, over bit right ear. The ranch was sold to Ted Frome, then to Miller Land and Livestock and later to its present owners, Victor and Josephine Mack and their son Victor, Jr. and wife Lucy. The Macks applied for and received a variation of the Double Dishpan in l983. John Douglas Newcomb still holds the original Double Dishpan brand.
A good friend of many years to Frank Ball was Pete Wagner. Frank helped him buy the old Cleophus place on the mouth of South Cottonwood. Because of his fondness for Frank, Wagner also took for his brand a variation of the Dishpan brand, one dishpan inside the other, RR&HC, RTH, under bit left ear, under bit and crop right ear. When Miller Land and Livestock bought the ranch, the brand went with it, and Mildred Miller holds it now.
Charlie used his Double Dishpan brand on both his ranch on Ball Island and later on Horsecreek. When he left the country in 1928, he sold his Horsecreek ranch to his brother Frank and the cattle and brand to Sherman Lloyd. Lloyd later sold his ranch and cattle on the Cottonwoods to T. D. O'Neil and the Double Dishpan went with the sale. O'Neils eventually sold parts of their ranch including the Lloyd place to Greenwoods, but retained the brand. When T. D. O'Neil died, the brand went to his son, Robert. On July 8, 1957, Bob transferred this brand to Pinson and Bennett, new purchasers of the Cottonwood Ranch and part of the cattle. They kept the brand until Fear Ranches, Inc., bought them out in 1960. Fears used this brand on bought cattle for the next three decades. They sold the ranch and this brand in 1989 to Cottonwood Capitol Limited Partnership. The Double Dishpan, back to back, is the major brand being used on this ranch at this writing.
Charlie's son, Brian, used a single dishpan with handles for his brand. Earmarks and placement are not available.
Frank had two sons as well as his daughter Alice, Walter Corbin Ball and Frank DeForest Ball II, also known as Jigg. When each of the sons married, he gave them a ranch and stocked them with cattle. Walter was given the Double A brand, LRC, LSH, under bit left ear, split right ear, on May 15, 1915, that had once belonged to Charles Lindback, a rancher on South Cottonwood whose land and cattle Frank had bought. Walter used this brand on the AA Ranch until his death in 1960 at which time it passed to Ron and Dele Ball who are still living on the ranch and using the brand.
As a young man, Ronald bought Rube Surritt's brand the Tee Lazy Y, connected, LRC, LHH, under bit left ear, cropped right ear. Herschell "Rube" Surritt came out here as a young man and homesteaded on South Cottonwood on two different sites. He sold out part of his land to T.D. O'Neil and the rest to Frank Ball. He worked for nearly 60 years for the Ball Outfit. Ronald transferred this TY Brand to his son, Ronald Corbin Ball, in 1990, Wyoming State Centennial Year.
In the early 1960's Ron and Dele bought two territorial brands from Art and Beverly Homer. In 1990 the Quarter Circle J Six brand, RRC, RHH, under bit both left and right ears, was given to their daughter, Melanie Fay Ball, and the Heart J, LHC, LHH, cropped and under bit both left and right ears was given to their daughter, Jennifer Joan Ball.
In the mid 1960's Ron and Dele bought some cattle from Joan Joecks, granddaughter of Ludwig and Elizabeth Lindback, who owned the Box V brand, and the brand went with them. The Balls still own this brand, LRC, LSS, LSH, overbit and underbit left ear, full right ear.
In 1988 Ron and Dele bought the brand Lazy H hanging L from Maxine Lewis, wife of Ted Lewis, deceased. Ted bought the brand from his uncle Ray Lewis in the 1940's, LRC, BS, LTH, over bit left ear, side under bit right ear.
Frank D. Ball, II, (Jigg), applied for the Quarter Circle Z, LRC, LSH, under slope left ear, full right ear, in 1926. Jigg used to speculate on cattle and he needed another brand to keep them separate from the Quarter Circle Z ranch brand, so he applied for the P up P down brand. He liked it because he said they were marked "paid". RRC, full left ear, under slash right ear.
When he bought out Osmo Ranta, who owned the ranch now known as O'Brien's,
the cattle and P slash S brand went with it. LRC, LSH, Both ears
full. This was the brand of the former owner, Paul Saxon, from whom
Osmo's father, Oscar Ranta, had bought the ranch. This brand was
given to Jigg's son, Frank D. Ball, III, known best as Bim, when he was
a young man. At Jigg's death, the other brands also passed to Bim.
This material is copyrighted by Dele Ball, A A Originals, and may not be used or copied in any form without the permission of Dele Ball or her representatives of A A Originals.