Museum History
The Green River Valley Museum was begun in 1990 with the support and impetus of the Centennial Committe under the direction of Maicille Carr.  She wrote the first grant obtained from the Wyoming Council of the Humanities and directed the first project which was on early brands of the area.  Dele Ball was instrumental in providing inspiration, as was Dick Tanner, the first president.  The Town of Big Piney provided the building and the Chrisman family donated two additional lots in 1993.  The first board of directors consisted of Dick Tanner, Bette Thompson, Marjorie Guio, Barbara McKinley, Jay Fear, George Nichols and Nancy Espenscheid.  Marjorie and Barbara continue on the board today.
The building itself has an interesting history.  It belonged to the Town of Big Piney and at various times has served as a town hall, fire station and jail, then later as a storage facility.  The original structure burned in 1948, leaving the charred metal jail cell exposed to the elements.  Having nowhere else to hold prisoners, law enforcement officers continued to use the cell to hold them until they could be moved to a more suitable location.  When the building was rebuilt, it was constructed around the jail cell.  The jail cell today is one of the museum's most popular attractions.
The following article by Nancy Espenscheid is reprinted from "The Sublette County Journal," March 13, 1998: