In 1905, Sam
Smith and William Alexander, who had a ranch on Cottonwood, opened a coal
mine on Cottonwood. A Finlander named John Linstrom had a coal mine near
where the Kleinstick Mine is today. The Linstrom mine was very hard to
get to with a team and wagon to haul the coal out. The Kleinstick Mine
had three different holes. The oldest one experienced a great deal of trouble
with water. The next two were designed by Shorty Kleinstick so the water
would run out. He also planned the mine so the air would circulate well.
Some time after Mr. Bleamer died in 1926, Mrs. Bleamer sold the ranch on
North Horse Creek and invested the money in the mine.