Julius Sayles, a Welchman, discovered a five foot vein of coal on
the Hogsback in 1901 and took up 120 acres and started mining. He was killed
in the mine when a rock fell on him. Sayles willed the mine to Lawrence
Bess, who sold it to three Finlanders: Matt Salli, Cabe Benice, and Oscar
Peterson, who worked for Bess. In 1917, Matt Salli became the sole owner
when the others sold out to him. Salli had a Finnish bath or sauna at his
mine and ranch, which his customers enjoyed for $.50 a bath before starting
on the long road back home.