Buffalo Trap Exhibit
Black Cabin Exhibit
History of Big Piney
of the Museum
The Big Piney
Oil and Gas Company Derrick
The top section of the old Big Piney Oil and Gas Company derrick
was moved from the gas field between Big Piney and LaBarge to Norris Park
at the East end of town July 27, 2000, as a tribute to the contributions
made by the oil and gas industry to the community. The old production
derrick was brought to the area in August of 1955 from Casper and set up
piece by piece by Jim Osborn and Clarence Needham with the help of derrick
builders from Thermopolis. A wood platform floor was built on a base
then the men stood on the platform and attached corners and braces, moving
long planks up to the next level to repeat the process. It took about
three days for the crew to set the derrick up then Clarence and Jim worked
a month or so building catwalks, the beaver slide, and pipe racks on both
sides, all made out of wood that they had sawed buy hand. They also
set the drawworks and motors.
Board member Barbara McKinley was in charge of this project.
The Museum received a grant from Mobile, cash donations from Stu and Barbara
McKinley and McMurry Oil Company, and assistance and coordination by EOG
This information was came from an article written by Helena
Linn for the Sublette County Journal.